Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Kugiran Les Jolly Jets, The Dreamers: Johore.

1) From You Tube video by miha 622

It has been a while since I posted articles about kugirans (Malay pop guitar groups) from the 60s so when an email and a photograph came from friend Jimmy, Decibels' former guitarist, I decided to publish the information he provided. He wrote:
2) Jimmy's photograph taken at site.
Hi Andy,
I was enjoying my nasi padang at an eatery in Nusajaya Johor Bahru recently when I looked across where I was seated and saw a few old cameras and an old vinyl record displayed on a shelf against the wall. I learnt from the owner of the eatery, Mr Fadli that his wife's uncle was a member of Les Jolly Jets. The band only lasted for a couple of years though. He obliged when I asked if I could take a picture of the displayed record (pls see attached). I also told him to check out your singapore60smusic blogspot. Btw, do you know of this band?

Best regards,
Jimmy.
1.04.2013.

Dear Jimmy,

Thank you for the email and photograph. There were bands mushrooming all over Malaysia those years and I am not familiar with many.  So I checked You Tube and found this group featured. Les Jolly Jets might have had a good following in Johore Bahru in the 60s as these bands played at home parties, weddings, cinemas and night clubs in the area. Like any business opportunities, Malaysian record producers would contract these more popular bands to cut a vinyl. 
The Dreamers from Muar Johor.
Some time ago I bought an EP of a band called, The Dreamers and from the information on the cover they came from Muar, Johore (image 2). I am just wondering if any reader is familiar with these two groups from the same State.  The songs, if they are of any help, include: Tetap Setia, Kemana Menghilang, Gadis Impian Ku and Kenangan Menjelma. Very roughly they mean, Always Faithful, Where Have You Disappeared To, My Dream Girl and Girl Reincarnate.
I guess Zaino Mum is the lead singer for Les Jolly Jets and from the information on the back cover, Zainal Omara and Shahrin Shah are the singers for The Dreamers.  Apparently Zainal Omara was also popular with two hits, Dodoi Anak and Sapu Tangan (is this the pop folk classic from Indonesia?)

Regards,
Andy.

If group members are still around in J.B. and reading this posting, give me a write.
Image 1: You Tube miha 622.
Images 2. Jimmy Ch'ng.
Image: 3. Andy Lim Collection.

Post a Comment

0 Comments